About the Society
This scientific association was founded in 2004. It was created, 15 years before, by a study group of paediatricians and biochemists. They were aware of the frequency of these orphan diseases in our country, which is marked by a high rate of consanguinity.
The main aims of this association are to:
- Improve awareness of medical communities and scientists involved in the diagnosis and management of Inherited errors of metabolism (IEM).
- Set-up and sustain a strategy of continuous education, training and research in IEM.
- Inform patients and families directly or through patient’s associations and mass media about new knowledges and therapeutic possibilities in IEM.
- Coordinate between professionals involved in IEM and health authorities concerning social and health problems related to IEM (ie: prevention and systematic neonatal screening).
The Association organizes:
- A Metabolic School every two years (11 Schools until now).
- Two Scientific Meetings every year (one National and one Regional).
- Phenylketonuria Days (7 days until now).